Friday 26 March 2010

Proudly present to you, my twitter!!

Twitter!! The 21st century hottest microblogging tool so far..

I heard of it. I signed up for it when US president Obama said he was on twitter last year, but, I didn't tweet or use it until December 2009. This is due to I have a negative impression of it at the start. I thought, why should I let other people know what I am doing all day long? And I am not interested to know what other people did to their life, living, work, study or whatever.

And, here comes the change. During my long four months summer holiday break, I have time to visit many librarian blogs. I bookmarked them (most of them, especially those who are active in blogging). I found that, nearly half of them have twitter account. Because I was so attracted to these librarians' blog posts, I started to think, may be I can use my twitter to follow them. Since then, twitter has become another information gathering channel for me. I log onto it several times a day using my mobile twitter platform, and I have many recent and newest issues and topics about librarianship; issues related to information institutes, university and high school libraries; social media new tools, application and trends; the latest web related technology development news and etc.

Here is my twitter and you are welcome to have a peek on my most recent updates to the left of this blog.


I have only 25 followers. I filtered most of the advertising and "spam" followers. I don't follow many people too (only 69 for the moment), because I am very selective in whom I follow. Think of this, when I follow someone, I will get their tweets showing on my twitter. If they are not tweeting quality information, I will have wasted my time reading over those unnecessary rubbish. This is the issue of how to manage my twitter to best suit my need.

Oh yes! Thanks to John (our lecturer of Doc Man) who linked the bit.ly that can shorten the URL I want to include in my tweet. Bit.ly is very useful.

I will show you my lists of whom I have followed next post.

6 comments:

  1. I was interested to read about how you came to use Twitter. Many celebrities are great Twitterers - and it seems so are Librarians.

    I was reading tonight about the new road campaign "bloody idiot" is especially designed for Facebook. It cost $100,000.

    How effective do you think this campaign will be given that it is targeted at the 20 yrs olds. What are you thoughts.

    PS - loved the cookery tips - those buns look terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oo... let me think.. Facebook as a tool or platform for Government to promote some campaignes targetted to e-generation!! Wah!! $100,000, that's a bit too much!! Drink driving or hoon-driver or illegal road race.. from my point of view, it is more to do with adrenalin rush, excitement, peer pressure.. And more, the availability of alcohol national wide, the social and family culture of 'drinking'.. I don't think facebook will be an effective tool to reduce road accident among e-generation or youths... They might get excited in signing up to that site, but how long will they follow this site, persistent is an issue here, plus I doubt how much information and warning can really relay to the young generation through facebook!!!

    Just my humble personal view here.. hehe
    than using facebook as a campaign..

    ReplyDelete
  3. sigh!! keeping typing the wrong words.. twitter = microblogging application, tweeter = people who tweet..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Of the librarian blogs that you follow, how much information on their twitter is simply a duplication of information in their blog? KP

    ReplyDelete
  5. ooo good question, most of the librarian bloggers will post a shorten URL on Twitter whenever they published a new post; apart from that, they tweet something else too, such as new technology they found through reading, magazine, web searching; their everyday working life in library; their personal life occasionally; many of them are playing foursquare as well (a new growing site due with location - where am I now). I will only pick only those titles that are interesting or useful to me from message I received from Twitter, then I will go to those original posts to read them. So, Twitter in this case acts as my information browsing device in helping me to gather information that I need quickly.

    Hehe!! I couldn't give an answer to your question, because that is too difficult to measure... ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh no!! typo typo... (a new growing site deal with location - where am I now). I will pick only those titles .....

    ReplyDelete