Sunday 11 April 2010

My first Yahoo Pipe!!

Hooray!! Have a try on constructing my own pipes using Yahoo Pipes, and success!!!! Yahoo Pipes is an easy tool to do some mashups on content around the web, especially for person like me who do not have any knowledge and training in API. It took me half a day to figure it up. I watched the "How to Build a Pipe in Just a Few Minutes" video from Yahoo Pipes homepage.



Learn How to Build a Pipe in Just a Few Minutes @ Yahoo! Video

Then, I started to build my first ever pipe.. (Excited!! and Scary!!!)

1. I need an Yahoo account in order to sign into Yahoo Pipe

2. Watch the above mentioned video.

3. Decide my Pipe's title: Latest Social Media News

4. Browse some social media sites which contain latest news or feeds in this area.

5. Back to my Yahoo Pipe page. Click "Create a Pipe"

6. Start building.. Drag a "module" I want to use from the "source" (tools on left column). I chose the "Fetch Site Feed" and add the URLs of the social media sites that I want to include. See diagram below.



7. Next, I filtered the feeds with some limitation. Link all the boxes together. The following diagram shows the Filter box and limitation rules that I set.



8. Type my pipe title, hit the "Save" button, then click the "Run my pipe".

9. Here is how it looks like in my Yahoo Pipes home page. It lists news about the latest social media sites.



10. I can add this list to My Yahoo, My Google, or get it as RSS, JSON, results by emails or phone. I can even embed it into Blogger, TypePad, Wordpress or iGoogle.



I chose the Blogger Badge because I want to see how it looks in my blogspot.

11. Done. Please refer to my homepage left column under my Twitter updates, there is a box showing the latest social media news.

Well, this is my first "kindergarten" level of piping or mashup skill.. I will dig more in the future. Very Interesting!!! I feel soooooooooooo satisfied after I managed to do this.. ^_^!! haha!! With this skill, I can make my own homepage with mashups content targeted to my own information needs.

4 comments:

  1. Wow! New tool! I'd never heard of it before. It looks very interactive. And it reminded me of something I read some days ago: the web today is a platform for anyone to create and publish content. (KTP)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hehe... yeah.. quite a new one.. it actually has more functions than what I have used in my first pipe, but I have no time to learn it.. It can help us to borrow content from other web site, manipulate it (or what is called mashup), then rearrange in a way that according to what we like it to display.. I have no API knowledge, so, no choice, have to use this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so impressed. Looks like you spent a lot of time learning how to master this tool. If you can do it maybe one day I'll have the time to figure it out too!

    What about the issues with content ownership? I'm not familiar with any law governing this, but there's bound to be some kinda regulation. Right? KP

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are right!!! I haven't tought of that. It functions as an RSS feeds, I mean the news that I put in my Yahoo Pipes! And it only display the short title and summary of each long news article. It gave my blog readers to have a quick browse through the latest news about social media, but they have to click to the link and visit the actual site to read the whole articles. I guess if that is not permitted in the internet, all other RSS feeds that people put on their blog are violating the law as well. I am thinking of internet as a resource sharing tool or database, the rules and regulation are governed by users. Good point, your question makes me think of information freedom, copyright, and fairshare of information. Thanks Kat!!

    ReplyDelete